“Premark” means to identify the general scope of excavation activities using white paint, stakes or other suitable white markings, in a manner that will enable utility operators to know the boundaries of the proposed excavation activities.
- Premark the area to be excavated before calling Dig Safe.
- Proposed excavation areas should be identified with white marks, with the excavator’s company name or logo within the premarked areas.
- Premark the exact area of excavation using solid lines, dashes or dots.
- Failure to premark when practical may jeopardize your Dig Safe permit and/or result in a civil penalty.
- Member utility companies will mark owned or maintained facilities in the premarked areas. Excavating outside the premarked area requires another permit from Dig Safe.**
- If working throughout an entire property, rather than just a particular area, define the outer perimeter of the property to indicate that work will take place everywhere within those premarked areas.